Casey Schull | July 7, 2021
The Most Searched Female-Led Action Movie by State
Casting female strength in the lead is on the rise.
For the past decade, we’ve seen a shift in the roles played by females in action movies. From Gal Gadot’s powerful debut as Themysciran princess Diana Prince to Jennifer Lawrence’s performance of eagle-eyed Katniss Everdeen, women in cinema have shaken off the stereotypical damsel in distress roles and become the ones doing the saving.
Women playing a stronger role in films is a concept that Dr. Kimberly Mangun couldn’t agree more with. An Associate Professor of Communication at the University of Utah, Dr. Mangun stated, “It is important for girls and women — and people across the gender spectrum — to see powerful female characters who shape their own destinies, use their intellect, confront challenges, and defy stereotypes.”
Won over by both critics and public alike, female-led movies from 2014-2017, including films such as Star Wars: The Force Awakens, out-earned films with male leads across all budget levels. More and more often, filmmakers are casting aside traditional female supporting roles and putting women in the lead.
Ahead of the highly-anticipated July release of Marvel’s latest female-led film, Black Widow, we at CenturyLinkQuote wanted to know where states stand when it comes to movies with female leads. Keep reading to find out which movie your state searched for the most.
Your State’s Most Searched Female-Led Action Movie
- 13 states knew who they were gonna call when they made 2016’s Ghostbusters the most searched film in the greatest number of states.
- The highest-grossing film on this list found love in only three states. Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens earned $936.66 million at the box office.
- Sicario (2015) had the highest Metascore from our top 10, earning a score of 82 from metacritic.com.
- Salt (2010) is the oldest movie on our list, but six states searched for it the most.
- Angelina Jolie appears twice on our list, starring in both Maleficent and Salt.
- In 2017, Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins rose to fame when the film was named the highest-grossing live-action movie directed by a woman. In total, the movie made over $821 million worldwide.
- Captain Marvel is the first film in the Marvel franchise to feature a female lead, and was released on International Women’s Day on March 8, 2019.
The team at CenturyLinkQuote determined the 10 most popular female-led action movies of the past 11 years by consulting IMDB data, Rotten Tomatoes, and box office revenue. Then we organized the list by the highest search volume and used Google Trends to determine each state’s most googled movie in 2021.
CenturyLinkQuote is an authorized sales agent of CenturyLink.
For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.