The low-rated movie your state googles most
Last Updated on January 13, 2023 by Ryan Wassom
Even when a movie falls short of the best practices in storytelling, it can provide endless entertainment—and even become a cult classic.
Take The Room, for example. Even with an IMDb rating of 3.6 and a Rotten Tomatoes score of 26%, the film gained such a following that James Franco made a movie about the director in 2017. People still stream the movie on their home internet connection or pay to see the original in theaters—where they throw popcorn and yell “You’re tearing me apart, Lisa!” along with Tommy Wiseau.
We were curious about which Razzie-worthy movies captivated Americans most in 2023, so we took a peek in Google Trends. Check out what we found.
Which low-rated movie does your state google most?
- The Cats movie remake took the top spot for low-rated movies on our list, with eight states googling it most in 2023.
- Despite its low critical rating, the Cats movie had a $95 million production budget and featured a star-studded cast including Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, and Taylor Swift.
- The movie won six Razzie Awards in 2020, including Worst Picture.
- These low-rated films earn an average IMDb rating of 3.0 and an average Rotten Tomatoes score of 11%.
- Of all the movies on our list, Disaster Movie has the lowest IMDb score of 1.9. The highest-scoring movie, The Room, rates 3.6 on IMDb.
- 365 Days is the only low-rated movie on our list with a 0% Rotten Tomatoes score.
- Catwoman, which tied with Crossroads and 365 Days for second most searched in American states, made Halle Berry one of only six actors in history to win both an Oscar and a Razzie.
- In 2002, she won best actress at the Academy Awards for Monster’s Ball. To this day, she’s the only Black actress to receive this award.
- In 2005, Berry was awarded a Razzie for Worst Actress for Catwoman. She accepted the award in person.
- Out of all the movies on our list, Jack & Jill has the most Razzie Awards with 10 total wins.
- Four movies on our list won Worst Picture at the Razzies: Cats, Catwoman, Jack & Jill, and Gigli.
- After meeting for the first time while filming Gigli, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez won a Razzie for Worst Screen Couple in 2005. The title couldn’t stop Bennifer’s real-life romance, however, which was recently rekindled after 20 years of separation.
- Captain America (1990), which was released before the days of Marvel mania, carries a 3.2 IMDb rating and a 13% Rotten Tomatoes score.
- Its most recent counterpart, Captain America: Civil War (2016), has a 7.8 IMDb rating and a 90% Rotten Tomatoes score.
First, we compiled a list of the lowest-rated movies of all time using data from IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes. Then, we analyzed the Google Trends data to determine which low-rated movie is most googled in each state.
CenturyLinkQuote is an authorized sales agent of CenturyLink products.
For media inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.