Emily Lawrence | October 23, 2019
Your State’s Favorite Spooky TV Show
Looking for a spooky show to binge-watch? ‘Tis the scaring season.
We found which spooky TV shows states are watching most—and the lineup includes everything from Stranger Things and The X-Files to The Haunting of Hill House and Supernatural.
Whether it’s Kathy Bates doing her thing in, not one, but eight seasons of American Horror Story or Rick Grimes going to town on zombies in the Walking Dead, people are watching—and we’re right there with them.
So grab the popcorn. Find a blanket. And start binge-watching on a trusty internet connection that won’t freeze right before the do-gooder-but-could-have-been-smarter protagonist gets killed.
The Vampire Diaries Takes the Cake
While the data proves New Yorkers love Scream Queens and the pacific northwest can’t get enough of The X-Files, we dug a little deeper to see why some states prefer certain shows over others.
Here are some interesting finds:
- The Vampire Diaries is the class favorite among 9 different states—the most of any spooky show in our lineup. Unsurprisingly, Georgia, where the VD crew filmed the series, is in the mix. If you’re itching to see the real-life Mystic Falls, head on over to Covington, GA.
- Lots of Northeastern states—specifically Virginia, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maryland, and Maine—have a thing for The Terror. Even though the story centers around a ship’s journey around the West Coast during WWII, the Eastern Seaboard still has a taste for pacific poltergeists.
- The plot of Ash vs. Evil Dead is set in Michigan, where a haunted cabin in the woods set the stage for the original film’s debut. Even now, the show continues to stick to its roots by periodically sneaking hidden references in episodes.
- Alaskans search iZombie more than any other show, which is a smart move for those who get too paranoid to sleep at night. Alaska is one of the safest places to be during a zombie apocalypse thanks to its spread-out population and high number of gun owners. Luckily, Alaskans shouldn’t have too much to worry about on the zombie front.
- Scream Queens, the horror spoof of sorority row turned death row, is set on the campus of the fictional Wallace University in New Orleans. Sure enough, the show is Louisiana’s most-searched series, which could mean Louisianians are curious about what’s going down in its prized city—fictional or not.
To determine each state’s most binge-worthy spooky show, we analyzed Google search data for the most popular horror TV shows over the past 5 years (from 8/17/2014 to 8/17/2019).
Here’s the full list of spooky TV shows that averaged the most search volume, in order from most popular to least:
- Stranger Things
- The Walking Dead
- American Horror Story
- Fear the Walking Dead
- The Terror
- The Vampire Diaries
- The Haunting of Hill House
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Bates Motel
- Ash vs. Evil Dead
- Scream Queens
- The X-Files
Rate Your State’s Favorite
Spooky junkies: What do you think of your state’s top spooky pick? Yay or nay? Let us know in the comments below! We want to hear all the thoughts.
|Alabama||The Vampire Diaries|
|Arizona||Fear The Walking Dead|
|Arkansas||The Vampire Diaries|
|Colorado||The Haunting of Hill House|
|District of Columbia||Scream Queens|
|Florida||The Vampire Diaries|
|Georgia||The Vampire Diaries|
|Hawaii||The Vampire Diaries|
|Iowa||The Vampire Diaries|
|Kansas||The Haunting of Hill House|
|Kentucky||The Vampire Diaries|
|Massachusetts||Buffy the Vampire Slayer|
|Michigan||Ash vs Evil Dead|
|Mississippi||The Vampire Diaries|
|Nebraska||The Haunting of Hill House|
|Nevada||Fear The Walking Dead|
|New Hampshire||The Terror|
|New Jersey||Scream Queens|
|New Mexico||Fear The Walking Dead|
|New York||Scream Queens|
|North Carolina||Fear The Walking Dead|
|North Dakota||Bates Motel|
|Ohio||The Haunting of Hill House|
|Oklahoma||The Vampire Diaries|
|Oregon||The X Files|
|Rhode Island||The Terror|
|South Carolina||Fear The Walking Dead|
|Tennessee||The Haunting of Hill House|
|Vermont||Buffy the Vampire Slayer|
|Washington||The X Files|
|West Virginia||American Horror Story|
|Wisconsin||The X Files|
Fuel Your Scare-A-Thon
Don’t let shoddy internet slow down your spooky streaming. Find a plan that will carry you through every episode start to finish (but don’t worry: you’ll still be able to speed through the extra scary scenes).
CenturyLinkQuote.com: CenturyLinkQuote, an authorized reseller of Centurylink products.
For any questions please email email@example.com